Wednesday 22 January 2014

Start of the 1st lecture week

Monday 20th Jan


I woke up at eight and after brushing off, went to do my laundry... That was an experience. ^^'
You pay three euro per machineful, and you do that with your student card. And if you want to use the drier, it's an additional one fifty. I sat there through the wash, and decided that the drier would take too long, I'd air-dry everything this time... But I didn't have any place to hang the clothes, so I just spread them around the room.

Then I had some free time before my first lecture at one, so I had a leisurely breakfast and some data-time.

I left to look for the lecture hall at little after noon, because I still have no idea where everything is. Newman Building - that's the building for Arts - is huge and full of corridors and it's way too easy to get lost there. Luckily people here are very helpful, so all I had to do was ask a couple of people, and I found it all right. And in time, even!

So the first lecture was "the British Celts" and it sounds very interesting. This was more of an introduction to the module, so nothing really new came up...

The lectures here last usually for an hour only, which is really weird for me, but then there's the tutorial bit during the week and that's the other hour.

I also had the British Celts tutorial an hour later, so there was time for lunch in between. And I went to buy a notepad. And ended up buying a poster, too, from the seller that was in front of the shop.
Come on! I had to!
And in the tutorial I got my first real annoyance. The professor asked a 'question' from me... Too bad the so-called question was about five sentences long and I couldn't really tell what she was asking, it was more of an explanation. ><

Nothing more worth noting happened on Monday.

Tuesday 21st Jan
Slept 'til ten, took a shower and had breakfast. My first lecture of the day started at three, so I had time to clean my room a bit and play games. Even skyped to Finland before leaving for the lecture. And remembered to eat, too.

The first lecture of the day was more of a seminar, really. It's called The Woman's Voice and it's about the representations of women in Ireland "from the year dot to present day" as one of the professors put it. This, too, was more like an intro to the module, so we got off early, so I had time to buy coffee before the next lecture - normal 'recess' is ten minutes, now I had twenty.

Next up was Irish Literature in English, and that's especially for foreign students, and it was right up my alley, although the professor there spoke really fast. She talked about how the English invasion and the loss of Irish language went hand in hand and all that, so nothing really new for me, yet.

After the lectures we had this Buddy Program meeting. We've been assigned to groups that were mostly exchange students, but also a couple of Irish students. My group was mostly Nordic, so we had things to talk about. We talked for almost two hours and the I had to go to the shop.

After I got back to my room, I Skyped back home and went to bed at around eleven-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment